Human Medicine, Health Sciences
PhD holders, post docs
Supplementary grant, own funds are required!
1) Monthly grant rate
a) for graduates: 1.050 EUR
b) for graduates with a PhD degree: 1.150 EUR
2) Accident and health insurance, accommodation
a) If necessary, the OeAD-GmbH will take out an accident and health insurance on behalf of the grant recipient.
b) The OeAD-GmbH will endeavour to provide accommodation (student hall of residence or flat) for recipients of grants who wish to get accommodation arranged by the OeAD. Monthly costs: 220 to 470 EUR (depending on how much comfort the recipients of grants want). An administration fee of 18 EUR per month is payable to the OeAD-GmbH for arranging accommodation.
The costs for insurance and accommodation have to be paid out of the grant by the recipient of the grant.
3) Recipients of grants are exempted from paying tuition fees.
4) Recipients of grants from non-European developing countries will receive a travel costs subsidy of 1.000 EUR maximum upon presentation of original documents. Travel expenses to Austrian representative authorities outside the home country are also refundable.
Eligible for application area) postgraduates pursuing a doctoral/PhD programme outside Austria;
b) postgraduates and post-docs wishing to pursue research in Austria with a view to an academic career and who completed their studies (at a university outside Austria) after September 30th, 2015;
c) post-docs who are working as lecturers at a university outside Austria.
(Applicants under a) have to prove that they pursue doctoral/PhD studies, applicants under c) have to prove that they are employed by a university.)
Applicants must not have studied/pursued research/pursued academic work in Austria in the last six months before taking up the grant.
Maximum age: 35 years (born on or after Oct. 1st, 1981).
Good knowledge of German, particularly in the respective subject area, is a prerequisite. For projects to be carried out in English a good knowledge of English in the respective subject area is required.
The scholarship will only be granted for projects that can be completed within the scholarship period (max. 9 months).
The following documents have to be uploaded with the online application at www.scholarships.at:
- Two letters of recommendation by university lecturers (for these letters of recommendation no specific form is required; they must contain the letterhead, date and signature of the person recommending the applicant and the stamp of the university / department and must not be older than six months at the time of application.)
- Consent of a lecturer at the Austrian target university to supervise the applicant academically
- Scanned copy of your passport (page with the name and photo)
- Scanned copy of your university graduation certificate of your diploma, master, PhD or doctoral studies
- only for PHD-students: confirmation, that proves your participation in a PHD-program at your home university!
- only for postdoc-lecturers: confirmation that proves your employment at your home university!
• Applicants who seek admission to an university in Austria have to contact the institution of their choice directly.
• Short-term grants (1 to 3 months) have a priority in the period from January to June. In other cases problems can arise as regards accommodation. When applying for a short-term grant therefore consideration should be given to applying primarily for the period of January to June.
• The selection process for all grants for Austria is competitive, i.e. there is no legal claim to a grant even if all application requirements are fulfilled.
• Applicants should take into consideration § 1 of the Data Protection Act, Federal Law Gazette of the Republic of Austria No. 165/1999, as amended, that the personal details contained in the application will be passed on to the authority dealing with their application, the contractual partners, the Federal Ministry for Europe, Integration and Foreign Affairs and in the exchange as well as to other authorities awarding grants in Austria and will expressly agree with that.
The selection follows a multistage process:
1. Examination of the formal requirements
2. Examination of the application's general plausibility
3. Assessment and evaluation of the application by experts
4. Final decision by the BMWFW
The experts examine and assess the applications according to the following criteria:
• Why do you want to study or conduct research in Austria?
• What exactly do you want to do in Austria during your study or research period?
• In which way do you want to carry out your project, which scientific methods do you want to use?
• What is the aim of your study or research in Austria?
• Which steps do you plan to take in order to reach this aim (attendance of lectures, archive work, interviews, …)?
• Have you already carried out some preparatory work towards achieving this aim (if so, which?)?
• Where do you want to carry out your studies or research work (library, archive, institute, …)?
• Prior studying history (duration and grades), or list of publications or documentation of your artistic activities carried out so far, respectively.
Please note, that scholarship holders are not allowed to take up paid work in Austria while receiving an OeAD grant.
Every scholarship holder is obliged to prove that the scholarship was used in an appropriate manner by submitting a final report at the responsible OeAD Regional Office at the end of the scholarship stay.
The recipients of grants will get the grant contract (Letter of Award and Letter of Acceptance) from the OeAD-GmbH/ICM. The contract covers the following aspects: Start and end dates of the grant; monthly grant rate; grant payment modalities (including a possible travel cost subsidy); compulsory presence at the place of study; performance record; data protection; repayment requirements.
Details see: www.oead.at/scholars
Federal Ministries Act 1986 (Federal Law Gazette No. 76/1986), date of the version: July 1st, 2016
Federal Finance Act 2017
Individual funding according to Sect. 2 Z.3 ARR 2014 (Federal Law Gazette II No. 208/2014)
Decree GZ BMWFW-41.906/2-WF/V/7/2016